Guillermo Fok, a graduate students of Industrial Design talks to RIT ID blog’s editor about his experiences during his study in RIT and his new project called RES+MAGIC+SoD.
RIT ID-Design editor: We would like to know a little more about you. Why did you decide to come to RIT for Graduate studies?
Guillermo Fok: I completed my bachelors degree in industrial engineering and from early on I was really interested in exploring design. Thanks to the Fulbright Association I was able to fulfill my goal of getting my graduate degree; I was looking for a school that would appreciate the benefits of a multidisciplinary environment and that was what first caught my attention from RIT. Looking further into the program and the ID space I knew it would be the best option for me.
RIT ID-Design editor: Can you tell us a little bit about your academic background?
Guillermo Fok: My bachelors degree is in industrial engineering. After working for a few years in the manufacturing industry, I was interested in expanding my managerial knowledge, so I attended UCSD’s project management bootcamp and also completed the Harvard ManageMentor program.
RIT ID-Design editor: Has RIT provided you with many opportunities for multidisciplinary work?
Guillermo Fok: It definitely has. We are constantly encouraged to look outside the ID department and take advantage of the strengths of other departments. I think industrial design has a collaborative nature, so it’s easy to find good synergy with other fields. I have been able to work with mechanical, electrical and biomedical engineers, and even nutrition and hospitality management majors and I’ve learned a lot from them. I think this is an opportunity that other schools can’t offer, and one of the many strengths of RIT.
RIT ID-Design editor: What is RES+MAGIC+SoD?
Guillermo Fok: This is a project that started with MAGIC’s vision to provide a bigger presence at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. The event attracts over 23 thousand attendees every year, so the goal was to offer a great experience for the public and create an optimal networking space for the organization and its students.
Andrew Phelps and Jennifer Hinton from MAGIC got in touch with the School of Design to involve design students in the project, and thanks to the ID Chair Josh Owen we were able to leverage the great relationship with RES exhibits, which has years of experience in exhibit design and has collaborated with RIT in numerous occasions.
RIT ID-Design editor: How did you decide to work on RES+MAGIC+SoD?
Guillermo Fok: Environmental design is one of the fields I am interested in. When Josh discussed the project with me, I immediately wanted to be part of it. The idea of collaborating with students from New Media Design was a great decision; Jack Wilson and Ryan Kiley were highly involved in the process from the beginning.
RIT ID-Design editor: How did you develop your idea for this project?
Guillermo Fok: We wanted to understand what MAGIC’s vision of the space was, so after talking to them and RES we started putting together a creative deck. We had to be specific with the objectives of the space, and this helped us create an optimal layout. The look and feel of the space came after brainstorming potential ideas of how to blend objectives and a visual concept.
Mentoring from RES was very useful and it helped us create a concept that MAGIC was really excited about.
RIT ID-Design editor: What was you role in the project and who did you collaborate with?
Guillermo Fok: The initial exploration was a team effort. the RES team provided a lot of guidance to help us understand the ideal use of space and resources. From then on, I developed the physical space and provided RES with technical specifications for all the elements in the exhibit. The idea we came up with was so unique that all pieces in the exhibit had to be custom built, so it was necessary to be as specific as possible about each element and its purpose.
Jack and Ryan focused on developing brand presence, color and all graphic elements of the space. The success of the project was definitely a team effort.
RIT ID-Design editor: Where did you/do you plan to exhibit this project?
Guillermo Fok: This is a project I am really proud of, I have already included it in my portfolio and on my website, and since the plan was to create a space that could be reutilized, I hope to see it exhibited many more times in the near future.
We congratulate Guillermo on his wonderful success in RIT and we look forward to his future achievements!

3G
4G
2G
1G