Angela Corrado, the brilliant Industrial Design candidate talks to RIT ID blog’s editor about her experiences during her study abroad in Germany and the first prize she won in the ToyDesign2020 competition.
RIT ID-Design editor: We would like to know a little more about you. Why did you decide to come to RIT for undergraduate studies?
Angela Corrado: I came from a small town called Marlboro in the Hudson Valley in New York. I came to RIT because I really liked the program here. I liked the fact that it was design program within a bigger university which has lots of different majors and different kinds of people.
RIT ID-Design editor: When did you decide to go to Germany?
Angela Corrado: I learned about the program Sophomore year. I saw the work that the current students were doing there. Everyone seemed to have a really amazing experience.
RIT ID-Design editor: Why Germany?
Angela Corrado: Because of the Bauhaus and it’s significant impact on the history of design. Also, my ancestors are German and I had never been there so I wanted to see what the country was like.
RIT ID-Design editor: Which University did you go there?
Angela Corrado: Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
RIT ID-Design editor: Did anything change about your understanding about design after you studied in Germany?
Angela Corrado: Overall I got a broader view of the history of design. Studying at the Bauhaus and having the ability to travel and see art and architecture really led me to understand how rich of a culture modern industrial design is, and how it stems from art and craft throughout history.
RIT ID-Design editor: Do you think there is a big difference between the design education in USA and Germany?
Angela Corrado: Yes, it is definitely different. There is a lot of freedom in the course structure. For instance, the classes only meet once a week and the assignments are much more open and self directed.
RIT ID-Design editor: What is the ToyDesign2020?
Angela Corrado: It is a competition that was organized by Anhalt University and a partner university in cooperation with Spielwarenmesse, an international toy fair.
RIT ID-Design editor: What is your project name and how did you develop your idea for this competition?
Angela Corrado: The project is called Imagine Fort. I was doing research on different types of toys and also reflecting on my own childhood. I remembered that small toys could hold my interest for a small amount of time, but often I got bored of them. Mostly I loved to play outside or build forts in the house by stacking couch pillows or draping sheets over the banisters. Once I thought about that, I tried to figure out how to make a creative toy that allows children to build structures inside without destroying the house and taking apart the beds and couches.
We congratulate Angela on her wonderful success in Germany and we look forward to her future achievements!

SWM2015_as_2077
SWM2015_as_2062
SWM2015_as_2023
SWM2015_as_2040