This past week recent MFA graduate, Bridget Sheehan, took part in the second annual GlassLab Fellowship. GlassLab is a collaboration between the RIT Industrial Design Department and the Corning Museum of Glass (CMoG) and provides one student, Bridget, the opportunity to explore glass as a medium for the rapid prototyping of ideas and participate in a two-day GlassLab session at CMoG.

In her own words, Bridget describes her experience and conceptual work:

“The CMoG GlassLab Fellowship was an incredible experience. For two days (June 4th and 5th), I had the opportunity to work with expert gaffers as they prototyped and helped me experiment with my designs. I went into the two-day session with designs for whiskey and beer glasses that would allow the user to swirl their beverages as their glass remains in contact with the table. My design was relatively simple in form, but due to the nature of the materials proved to be a challenge for the gaffers to create, particularly without a mold. Thankfully, the gaffers I worked with very quickly understood my design intent and set out to make my designs a reality. Through a bit of trial and error, they were able to develop a process that resulted in prototypes that very clearly demonstrated what I set out to do with my designs. Looking back, it is clear that prior to this experience I hadn’t thought much about the capabilities of glass. Though I designed drinking glasses, which are among the more prominent glass objects, I now recognize the immense opportunities that glass offers designers. I look forward to embracing the use of glass as a material more as my design career develops. I would like to thank the Corning Museum of Glass, the gaffers that worked on my designs with me, RIT, the School of Design, and the faculty and staff of the Industrial Design Program for providing me with this honor. Looking forward to sharing my designs soon!”

Congratulations, Bridget, on this incredible accomplishment! We’re looking forward to seeing your final prototypes!